Owning a home is a dream of many young ones, with many saving diligently for their down payment. While preparing ahead of time to buying a house is essential, the realities of what could go wrong are also important to think about. Should something happen to your home, you’d want the peace of mind that your home owner’s insurance will kick in and take care of the replacement and repairs.
With so many options, how do you know if you’re getting the best deal? I’ll show you some tips on how to negotiate like a pro with home owner’s insurance.
Home Insurance Reviews – Get the Scoop
It’s one thing to save some money on insurance, but if it doesn’t come through when you need, it’s pointless. Save yourself money AND stress by hunting carefully for the right insurance company for your house.
The internet can be a huge help with this step. Check online to see how current and past customers feel about their policies. I would also talk to friends and neighbors that you know personally so you can also check their opinions on whether they’re happy with the service they’re getting.
Compare Insurance Policies for Your House
Now that you have a list of companies you want to investigate, it’s time to make sure you’re looking at the numbers.
There are a couple of ways you can go about this:
- Try contacting multiple companies yourself.
- Calling a local agent who sells insurance for multiple companies.
- Get online to get insurance quotes.
My personal method of choice is using the web to fill out the general information once and have multiple agents contact me at home to pitch us their offers. I keep records of what they offer in costs and what coverage I’d get. For me, it’s the simplest method that gets solid results.
Possible Discounts to Check Out
Once they give you an initial quote, ask them for any discounts that they offer on policies. Some agents may already do this, bit others may not. You don’t want to spend more than you have to with insurance premiums.
- Bundle your policies. Purchasing multiple policies from the same insurer can help you save a significant amount of money. Nearly every insurance company offers multi-policy discounts.
- Take advantage of membership deals. There are a lot of different groups and associations that offer special insurance plans or discounts on various types of insurance. You may already be a member of one of these organizations.
- Make your home safer. If you have deadbolts, smoke detectors, fire hydrants nearby, and a manned fire station within 5 miles, mention these to the insurance agent. These safety features can lower your insurance premiums even more.
If the insurance agent doesn’t offer discounts, move on to another agent. You can be surprised at the difference between premiums even if it is the same company. Make the agent work for your business.
Making Sure You Have the Right Insurance
Getting the right insurance may be annoying now, but it’ll help you avoid a huge headache later if you happen to need it down the road. If you’re getting your insurance needs squared away, here are some posts on GPT to help you out:
- Life Insurance: When and Why
- Health Insurance and Your Needs
- Disability Insurance: Is It a Waste of Money for Young People?
- Buying Rental Insurance
- Travel Insurance: Do You Need It on Your Next Trip?
Photo Credit: Tony the Misfit