Even the best of times, one of the most common questions asked is, “How to make money fast?” While an increase in income can ease the way things work in your personal economy, it won’t necessarily solve all your problems. You will still need a plan for the wise management of your financial resources. Making more money, though, can help you turn things around in some cases, allowing you to pay down debt quicker, build a sizable nest egg, or save up for a family trip.
There are a number of quick ways to make money. There are even ways of making money online, from the comfort of your home. Creativity, planning and hard work can all lead to an increase in income.
How to Make Money Fast (Fast Cash)
Sometimes all you need is a little quick cash. Most the ways to make money quickly won’t actually serve to replace your income, or allow you to make more money to the point where you can quit your day job. However, if you are interested in making more money to pay off debt, or save up for something specific, these ideas can be useful:
- Surveys. You can get paid for your opinions. Many people wonder how you can make money with survey sites, but it really is simple. You join a one or two good sites and complete surveys as you want, often there are qualifying questions and ones you pass those you can earn anywhere from $2-$15+ for a survey. You can do phone surveys, online surveys and even product testing where you get to keep the product often. It’s free to sign up and only takes a few minutes, why not give it a try.
- Paid Testing: You can be a paid tester. Medical companies, cosmetics developers and others pay testers to try products and treatments. For some studies, you might have to meet certain requirements. Also, if it is a long study, it may take longer for you to get your money. Look for shorter studies. You can search “paid medical studies” and you will see a list of clinics, testing companies and paid focus group opportunities.
- Plasma Donation: Blood plasma is in relatively high demand. One of the great things about plasma donation is that you can go two times in any seven days — so long as you wait at least two days in between. Check with DonatingPlasma.org to find centers near you. Can get between $20 and $35 a pint.
- Bone Marrow Donation: If you have a couple of days, you can go through the process of bone marrow donation. Depending on how much you give, you can sometimes get up to $450 for a donation. It can be painful, however. Be careful to go to a reputable center.
- Sperm Donation: If you are willing to commit to six months, and willing to avoid, um, releasing your sperm except during donation times, you can get up to $40 per donation. This is something only men can do.
- Share Your Talents: Those with skill in music can make money by sharing their abilities. If it is allowed, you can set up to entertain at parks. Many towns have farmers’ markets, and you can ask if you can be put on the entertainment schedule. A restaurant in my town allows musicians to come in and play during dinner two or three nights a week. You can make money on donations from those who appreciate your performance.
- Recycle: Look around your locality to find out whether or not there are recycling facilities. Many towns still have scrap metal recycling facilities that will pay you by the pound if you bring in metal. Additionally, if you live in a state where you pay a deposit for glass bottles, you can return the bottles for the deposit. Gather up bottles that other have thrown out and return them. Just be aware that it is illegal to do this across state lines.
- Odd Jobs: You can usually be paid in cash for odd jobs. If you are knowledgeable about making repairs, yardwork or cleaning homes, you can make some quick cash for such jobs. If you have a truck, you can offer your services hauling away debris.
- Serving and Bartending: When I was a waitress, I always had cash in my pocket. If I wanted extra cash, all I needed to do was pick up an extra shift and collect tips. Serving and bartending are two quick ways to make money. And they are jobs that you can do evenings and weekends.
- Sell Your Stuff: Hold a yard sale, or sell your things online. Go through what you have, and decide what you can part with. Selling it can provide the means of a small amount of immediate money.
- Pawn Your Stuff: If you don’t want to arrange a yard sale, you can pawn your stuff. In some cases, you are getting a loan that you have to pay back if you want your item back. However, if you don’t care about the item, you can simply take the cash and let the pawn shop keep it. Other pawn shops will buy items from you, and then re-sell them at a mark up.
- Store Returns: Did you buy something recently? Take it back. You will get full price if it is unused and unopened, and you have a receipt. Even store credit will help if there is something you actually need to buy at the store.
- Sell Your Unused Gift Cards: If you have unused gift cards, you can put them up for sale on sites like eBay, Plastic Jungle and others. You won’t get the face value of what’s left on your gift card, but if you won’t be using the card, and you need the cash, this could be a way to get the money you want.
- Rent Out Your Driveway: Some people, who live near public transportation or who live near attractions, rent out their driveways — even their yards. Provide parking that is close to a popular location, and do it for less than a commercial lot or parking garage. You can get some quick cash. But you do have to be willing to park a little farther away, or risk having your car blocked into your garage.
- Emergency Assistance: It’s not exactly like getting cash, but it can help. If you are in dire straits, you can check with the local food pantry, or speak with a representative of the clergy at your church. You might find that you can get free groceries, or even assistance paying some bills. This will free up cash for other uses.
Interested in starting a blog and quitting your job? Check out How I Make Money Online and sign up for FREE course.
Building a Home Business
Working from home can be a rewarding way to make more money, especially if your are making money online. This won’t provide you with fast cash, and it can take a lot of hard work and creativity to build up your home business. When you work as an independent contractor, you will also need to understand how to handle your taxes, and you might even need to be licensed by your state, depending on what you decide to do. Here are some ways to make money by creating your own home business:
- Online Store-Online store can be very lucrative with a low start up cost and a huge upside potential, it’s the perfect side hustle. If you do it right, it can replace your income and you can work full time from the comfort of your home. If you are serious about earning more money then I highly recommend you check out Steve’s course. Him and his wife started an online store and made over $100,000 in the first now, his wife quite her job and now works about 4 hours a week.
- Child Care Services: Provide babysitting services in your own home. If you can offer some sort of preschool in addition to child care, you can build up an even better business. Become properly licensed, and you might even be able to get help from the state in the form of subsidies for snacks and meals you provide for the children.
- Pet Care Services: Depending on your abilities and skill level, you can can offer pet care services. It can be as simple as walking dogs and feeding cats for out-of-town neighbors, or it can be as complex as bathing and grooming services.
- Arts and Crafts: For those who are talented in the area of arts and crafts, it is possible to sell what you make. Web sites like Etsy provide you a way to sell what you create. My sister-in-law sells items she crochets. She even designs patterns that sell for a couple dollars each time someone wants one. If you sew, work with wood, knit, quilt, paint or enjoy some other type of art pursuit, you can build a business.
- Virtual Assisting: Those who are organized and have good communications skills can provide administrative services, even at a distance. Appointment setting, phone calls and other duties can be performed by a virtual assistant. It’s a growing field that you can involve yourself in.
- Tutoring: Are you good at math? Do you understand science concepts? Can you help others improve their reading and writing skills? If you have a talent for teaching, you can offer your services as a tutor. Not only can you do it as a home business in your local area, but you can also make money online as a tutor. You can look for your own clients, or sign up with services like Stutors.com.
- Teaching: My husband just finished his Ph.D. and is teaching an online class at his alma mater here in town. He can do it from home. Plus, since he is developing the curriculum, he is receiving an extra stipend for the summer semester. While my husband is doing this for the local state university, many online educational institutions are also interested in teachers who can provide classes online — without needing to leave their homes.
- Photography: When you have a good eye, and some talent with a camera, you can make money as a photographer. Offer to take photos for graduation, weddings, births and other life events. It’s possible to find small lighting kits on eBay, and a dark sheet can provide a background if you do indoor photography rather than outdoor. With the help of digital cameras and web sites like Shutterfly, it is possible to provide this service. On top of that, you can provide creative photos, landscapes and other images to stock photo sites, and receive money every time someone downloads your pictures.
- Freelancing: There are a number of freelancing activities that can be done from your home, allowing a way of making money online. If you have the skill and the right equipment, you can freelance as a writer, graphic designer, software developer, or programmer. Take on projects and get paid.
- Consulting: If you have knowledge of social media, public relations or some other subject in high demand, you can sell your knowledge. Work from home offering tips on increasing social media presence. Write press releases and direct advertising strategy. My husband will be working as a consultant for a local health care system, providing advice and direction on survey design.
- Financial Planning Services: With the right certifications and licenses, you can provide financial planning services from your home. Offer suggestions to help others meet their financial goals. If you get your securities license, you can even help people buy investments.
- Provide Lodging: You can rent out a room in your home. You can convert part of your house to a bed and breakfast, and you can rent it out for temporary visitors to your home. Or, you can rent a room to a college student, or young professional, who needs a place to live. This will provide you with some regular income from the use of your home.
Making Money Passively
Another way to make more money is to develop passive income streams. You might have to do a little work to get your system in place, and you might have to do some work to maintain the system at a minimal level, but you can create income streams that provide you with money with little effort down the road.
- Affiliate Programs: You can sign up with affiliate programs to advertise on your web site. You get a portion of purchases made from clicks to your site. Other affiliate programs involve setting up to sell products and services. In my neighborhood, there are a number of people who direct you to their affiliate sites that sell kitchen items, scrapbook supplies, jewelry and candles.
- Residual Income: In some cases, you can receive residual income from things you write or pictures you upload. Stock photo sites allow you to make money when others use your photos. There are a number of content-driven web sites that will pay you based on pageviews of articles you wrote years ago, or let you earn AdSense income. This is a way of making money online. I make about $100 a month in residual income that comes in passively from work I did three to five years ago.
- Income Investments: Build up an income portfolio to create a revenue stream. Income investments like bonds, dividend stocks and even P2P lending can provide you with regular payments. There is always the risk of loss in an investment, though, so be careful.
- Royalties: Books, music and other creative works can result in royalties. You continue to receive payments as the work is used.
- Self-Publishing: Also, in this digital age of self-publishing, it’s possible for you to make your own ebook or offer music for download — and keep all of the money for yourself. No royalties required.
Do you have tips and ideas for making extra cash?