Good Morning Green Panda Readers. It’s already May 7th and that means that summer is quickly approaching. Some of us may be planning our summer vacations, some of us may be preparing for a summer internship, and some others may just be looking forward to relaxing and taking it easy this summer. Travelling abroad is definitely a common way for students to spend their summer months, but it can be an expense that (unfortunately) not everyone can afford.
The summer time can be a great opportunity for students to catch up on their reading or gain valuable work experience, it can also be a great opportunity to spend some time outside with our friends and enjoy the warm weather. It’s great to have free time during the summer months when we are not restricted by our school schedule, but if we have big summer dreams they could come with an even bigger expense.
Here are 5 Ways to Help You Save Money This Summer:
1. Stay Home and Relax. Enjoying the summer sun in the comfort of our own home can help save us a lot of money. Although it may be tempting to want to spend our summer abroad and travel the world it can be a very costly expense and leave us with very little money in September when the new semester starts. For some students a nice relaxing summer at home is exactly what we need. It may be nice to take a break from our hectic school schedule and just relax for a few months.
2. Stay in School. Summer courses are a great way to advance our studies, learn a new skill, or take up a new hobby. Once we are in the habit of constant learning it may be hard to stop over the summer break. Registering for a summer course can help us graduate that much faster and get us out in the working world that much quicker. Once we have a stable income we can definitely save more money.
3. Become a Tutor. Many younger kids attend summer school and it’s a great way for older students to make some extra cash. If you are a third or fourth year university student you can definitely find a summer job tutoring first year students or high school students.
4. Find Some Research Work. If you are a student who needs to improve their craft the summer is a great time to take advantage of the empty hallways and put in some extra hours at the lab. You may also have the opportunity to study abroad and find some research in a foreign country. Check with your school to find out about research and lab opportunities abroad. Most schools have an alliance with various universities and colleges around the world. This is a great way to save money because you can travel and gain valuable experience while your trip is funded by your school.
5. Work Part Time or Full Time. Many students take advantage of the summer months to gain valuable work experience through working part time, full time, or by getting a summer internship. This is a great way to save money because we will be spending our days working instead of being out and spending money with our friends. This will help us build up our bank accounts and save money for tuition, books, and other school supplies.
All of these opportunities are great ways to save money this summer. What are your summer money savings tips?
Photo by barockschloss