Photo Credit: striatic
I try to save money with the grocery bill. We usually spend $200 a month for two people.
My husband I do a major grocery shop a Wal-Mart about once a month. While the prices can be good, the parking and crowds can be a turn-off.
Just last week a friend introduced us to their Dollar Tree. I’ve been there before and browsed some of their groceries, but wasn’t too excited. This Dollar Tree was larger and had a reasonable grocery area. I shopped there last week and was able to get some deals that were cheaper than Wal-Mart.
This lasts us for the month, with the exception of milk and bread. We just pick that up on our way home.
Since we finished our grocery shopping yesterday, here’s a general list of what we bought and where:
Dollar Tree (all prices are $1 unless otherwise noted)
- (Honey Wheat @ Wal-Mart is $2.29/loaf)
- Pizza Bites
- Italian Icees
- 3-4 Sips (Wal-Mart’s comparable juice is about $1.29 now and they don’t have a lot of variety of flavors)
- Lemon Pepper
- Garlic Salt
- Green Tea Bags
Meats (I buy the big packs and split them up into 4-6 meal sizes)
- Ground Beef
- Pork Chops (I prefer center cut)
- Fish (Tilapia, Whiting, Salmon)
- Pork Shoulder for Roast
- Lunch Meats (Honey Ham)
- 8 Bags of Different Stir-frys
- Green Beans
- *My aunt gives me some vegetables like sweet potatoes or carrots. She’s always looking out for us. *
- Pizza (for the’ too tired to chew days)
- Orange Juice
- 100% Juices (Cranberry, Grape, Apple, etc)
- What’s on Sale Juices (Sometimes we find some good deals) This week we got Pineapple Juice.
- 8 Yogurts (Vanilla, Strawberry, and I think Key Lime Pie.)
- Ice Cream (Cookies and Cream to Be Exact)
- Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Salad in a Bag (Mixed Greens)
- 1 Bag of Red Potatoes
- Red Beans
- Soups (Tomato, Chicken and Rice)
I guess I should’ve changed this post to ‘How We Shop’. The total came out to $150. I know I forgot some things, so I’ll probably update it later. I’m so tired and from this cold/flu/whatever it is, that I’ll leave it be right now.
What does your grocery list look like? Where do you get your groceries? How often do you shop?