Would you agree that the best things in life are free? You can definitely enjoy getting things for free that you would otherwise have to pay for. So why don’t we get more free things? Well, sometimes, all you have to do is ask. We live in a society where currency is exchanged for goods and services, but in many cases, people are willing to give you something for free without asking for a dime. What are some of these things you can get for free just by asking?
- Furniture:Furnishing a house doesn’t have to be expensive at all. Maybe you like a particular piece in someone’s house and they’re not really using it, or they have a newer version. You can ask your friends and family to give you furniture they’re not using, like old refrigerators or even televisions. If they’re collecting dust, or not in the best condition, they’ll more than likely be open to giving it to you rather than selling it to you. There’s also a “free stuff” section on Craigslist, where you may get lucky on finding furniture that people just want to get rid of without the hassle of finding buyers.
- Food and Drinks: Hungry? Thirsty? You may not have to pay for your next meal. One of the best times to get free food or drinks is on your birthday. I’ve signed up for all my favorite restaurants’ mailing lists, and when my birthday came around, many of them sent me e-mails offering me a free meal on or around my birthday. Sure, you can’t get it free every day of the year, but you can make that the best birthday week ever.
- Money: That’s right, if you ask for free money, sometimes you can get it. What’s the catch? Depends on where you’re asking. If you ask a friend or family member to borrow $10, in many cases, they won’t even ask for or expect it back. If you open a bank account and make a deposit of a certain amount, in many cases, they’ll give you more money to put in your account. Have more responsibilities at work lately? Set up a meeting with your boss, and ask about the possibility of a raise. You can also ask your neighbors for help, like having them save their cans and bottles that they would throw away, and you can recycle them.
- Gas: Gas has gotten absolutely ridiculous lately, reaching $5/gallon in some areas. How on earth can you get free gas? Ask to be reimbursed. If you’re driving somewhere on company time for a job function, ask your company to reimburse your mileage expenses. Going the same place someone else is going? Offer to carpool in exchange for some help with gas money. Can you get all of your gas for free? Maybe not, but some is better than none!
- Electronics: I love new gadgets, like laptops and tablets and cell phones. It’s an expensive love, and can definitely put in a dent in my pocket. However, I was able to get my iPhone 4 for free, and you can get other things free too. You can send in rebates, you can ask for loyalty deals, or you can enter sweepstakes and contests to win free electronics. I probably can’t get all of my electronics for free, but I have gotten a few of them without paying.
What are some other things you can get for free if you only ask?