Here is a list of 25 reasons why you’re not saving money. Some are under your control, some are not. What else would you add to the list? What would you take off the list? What’s holding you back from meeting your savings goals?
1. You’re letting others dictate your finances.
2. You’re carrying too much debt.
3. You’re not earning enough money.
4. You’re confusing wants and needs.
5. You’re American.
6. You’re not paying yourself first.
7. You’re too conservative.
8. You’re not consersative enough.
9. You have children.
10. Lot’s of children.
11. You live too far from work.
12. You’re not reinvesting in yourself.
13. Bad luck.
14. Bad planning.
15. You’re mortgage is too high.
16. You’re overeducated. (or undereducated).
17. You’re priorities are out of wack.
18. You’ve recently endured a layoff or job loss.
19. You’re business went south.
20. You spend too much on your hobbies.
21. You are keeping up with the Joneses.
22. Medical problems.
23. Divorce or family issues.
24. You don’t want to save money.
25. You’re not fully committed to saving money.
Chris Thomas, owner of the online freelance writing and web-copy company, FreelancePF. Chris’s interest in personal finance stems from leaving grad school with six figures in student loan debt.